Monday, December 29, 2008

New Year, New Challenge
















The New Year always motivates me to try to get it together.  Get the house more organized, get the finances tighter,  exercise more, eat less...  

I have been thinking about what I want to accomplish in January 2009 and I want to work on organization and de-cluttering even more around the house.  The winter is a great time to do this because who wants to leave the house anyway?  I'm not tempted to go to the Zoo or work on the flower garden.  I only want to stay home! 
Goal #1: Organize the house, minimize clutter, make the space we have work.

The second thing I want to do is to save some money.  It always seems I spend a bit more than planned over the holidays.  There are groceries I need and unexpected expenses that pop up.  So to "make-up" for some of those things I want to save as much as I can in January.   
Goal #2: Save $.

The third priority is the Savvy Saving program I am presenting starting January 20th for the IMCPL Library system. I need time to finish preparations and some evenings I will be away from home to do presentations. 
Goal #3: Time for Savvy Savings program preparation and presentation.


In order to accomplish my goals, I need time.  Time to de-clutter, organize and minimize.  Time for program preparations.  So,  I have been thinking about where I can find time and Goal #2 will actually help me to find time.

So, this is my challenge and plan for January:

Challenge
Goal #1: Organize the house, minimize clutter, make the space we have work.
Goal #2: Save $.
Goal #3: Time for Savvy Savings program preparation.

My Plan: Stay Home
To make the time to accomplish these goals, I have decided to take a "shopping and coupon break". 
This will give me extra time because:
I will not
get coupons, 
cut coupons,
file coupons, 
check the ads, 
pack up the kids and go to the store.  

It will save me $ because I won't shop!

It will make space and clear out clutter because I will use my stash!

How will I do this?
I plan to make a list of all the meals I can make with the items I have in the house currently and then a shopping list of the items I need to get through the month and do 1 shopping trip only. (I realize I may still need some basics weekly like milk, eggs and produce.  I should be able to get these at Aldi or CVS and these are both close and I can go without kids!

So, I am calling this the "January 2009, Stay Home Challenge", because I will only accomplish my goals if I Stay Home! I will post more as I plan my meals for the month and map out my plan of attack for organization around the house.

If you would like to join me in my "January 2009 Stay Home Challenge" leave a comment and let us know what you would like to accomplish my staying home in January.

If you have a blog, feel free to copy the logo at the top of this post and blog about what you want to accomplish by staying at home in January 09.  Just please link your post back here!

(If you would like to read the second post in this series go here.)

1 comment:

Candice Haase said...

OH I really wish I could do that. I have not have been as a diligent a shopper as you have been. I had a few busy months this past year and simply did not have time to keep up with my coupons. I will try but I think I am going to need more than just a few basics. I am glad you can do that!