Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Turkey Noodle Soup - Step 1

Turkey Noodle Soup is a family tradition in my home.  As a kid, I always waited for the time after Thanksgiving or Christmas that mom would get out the bird and make this favorite.  Fast forward 30+ years, and now I'm the mom and my family anxiously awaits the traditional pot of soup!

There is really no better soup on the planet - that's big statement isn't it!  But really, ask my family, or those friends who have come to love this tradition.  It is the ultimate in comfort food! Hot and flavorful and thick with noodles. And unlike many comfort foods, it is good for you too. 

Turkey Noodle Soup is also very economical.  It is made from the part of the turkey that many people throw away - the bones.  I can usually get 3 - 5 dinners (for our family of 4) from those turkey bones - depending on the size of the turkey. I would estimate that all those dinners cost only around $5 - 7  total, for the additional ingredients needed, some of which are probably  in your fridge already!

So today I will be sharing our family tradition of Turkey Noodle Soup.  I hope it makes you hungry and that you will try this at home!

I will be stopping back to post through out the day to take you step by step through this recipe! So, gather your biggest pot, your leftover turkey carcass, some onions, celery, and carrots and join me for Turkey Soup Day!

Go Here for Turkey Noodle Soup - Step 2.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

AH!!! How could you give away our family secret!?!? :o) Now everyone will know how simple it is. . .

Candace said...

Oh, but the thought of all those good turkey bones going unused out in the trash was just too much!!!

I just had do do something to stop the madness...... =)

Jessica said...

it would be nice if you had a link to step 2 in this post

Grandma B said...

Your soup makes me hungry right now!! I learned to make soup form my MIL 40+ years ago, and she had been making the recipe from her mom, so we have a lot of years of soup making. When I cook my turkey, I surround it with carrots and onions. According to MIL that gives the broth a nice rich color, and of course it makes the cooking turkey smell wonderful!! I add the browned carrots and onion to the broth with my bones. It also makes a rich dark broth for gravy.

Candace said...

Thanks Jessica!

Great idea - I added links at the end of each step! Hope that helps to navigate through the steps.


Grandma B -

I too think the carrots add that nice color! Thanks for the comments!

Don't you love family recipes! This one originally came from my (now 87 years old) Grandmother, who cooked wonderful things for her 8 children every day!

Now she still makes yummy things for her 20+ grandchildren and 30+ great grandchildren!

I hope to preserve some of those traditions!