Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Turkey Noodle Soup - Step 2

Let's start with the ingredients and other things that you will need to make to soup.

1 Very large pot.  I used an 11 quart pot and had the carcass from a 13lb turkey.  If I had my normal 20lb turkey, I would have used 2 pots.  If you have a larger pot that's good too.  Use what you have or borrow one from someone.

1 Turkey Carcass

Giblets (if you still have them)

The pan that is holding your turkey (don't wash it yet!)

2-3 Onions

Celery stalks

3-4 carrots

1 bag - good quality- extra-wide or dumpling style egg noodles. 
(I recommend Muller's extra wide or dumpling noodles - if you can get them.  I can't find them in Indy but they are the best.  I do NOT recommend Aldi noodles for this because their noodles seem to break into pieces.

Water


Here is a step-by-step for the soup with pictures!

1. To get started, pick any remaining meat off the bones of your turkey.  You can save this meat to add later to the soup.  Put in the fridge for now.


2. Place turkey bones, skin, fat and any scrap pieces into large pot.  Break apart larger sections if necessary to fit into pot.  Keep in mind that the flavor is in the fat and skin.  You can cool your broth and remove the fat later if you choose.  I do not suggest that you try to "lighten" the recipe by omitting the fat and skin at this point because you will lose a lot of flavor!


3. Pour a few cups of boiling water into the pan and bag or foil that was holding your turkey.  You will be surprised at the juices you will see surface!  

4. Then pour the juices into the large pot.

5.  Add the Giblets to the pot if you still have them uncooked.  I cooked mine up on Thanksgiving Day and so I will just add the broth from them to the soup when it is done.

6. Chop several onions, celery stalks and carrots and add to pot.  Make the pieces large so they are easy to remove later.  


7. Fill pot with water, bring to  low boil, turn to low cover and simmer for several hours or all day!  I cook mine ALL DAY.  The longer it cooks the more flavorful.  I would recommend at least 3 hours but if you can let it go 6 - 8+ that's fine too.  Just make sure it isn't cooking too fast.  I put mine on a very low temp.

You have most of the work done now.  You can enjoy the wonderful smells that will be filling your home.  

I will post this afternoon and show you how to finish your soup.   Please leave any questions or comments.

Go Here for Turkey Noodle Soup - Step 3.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

We still have the (uncooked) neck. Should I put that in too?

Candace said...

Yes definitely put the neck in! And all the other "extra parts" you might have.

We actually used to fight over the neck at our house when I was a kid! It was a delicacy - my husband thinks I'm nuts but I still like to pick the meat off it!