Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Turkey Noodle Soup - Step 5

If you are just joining us in making soup - you might want to start here.

Well, we've enjoyed our soup and I have enough broth in the freezer for 2 more dinners.
Now I will show you an easy way to freeze the broth to use for later.

1.  First cool your broth.

You will need gallon size freezer bags and several loaf pans.

2. Next place a gallon size storage or freezer bags inside the loaf pan. Place both in the sink in case you spill a little in the next step.

3.  I use a measuring cup and scoop the broth and pour it inside the bag until it reaches the top of the loaf pan.  I was able to put 5 cups into a bag.


4.  Place in your freezer


 

5. When they are frozen solid you will have "bricks" of broth.  I will use 2 of these bricks to make 1 pot of soup.

Take the frozen "bricks" out of the loaf pans.  I take 2 of the bricks and place them in another freezer bag for extra protection.  Write the date on the bag and place back in the freezer.  These will stack easily in your freezer.  When your ready for some soup, just run some warm water over the bag to loosen the brick and place frozen brick into soup pot.  It will thaw quickly on low heat.

Thanks so much for joining me in making soup today.  I would love to hear from anyone that tries this soup!  It's so easy and a great way to stretch those turkey for a few more meals!

Added Notes: 12/03/08   

If you have leftovers of soup, always make sure you heat it to a boil.  I would also do that with all frozen broths before you add noodles and meat.    

If your reheated soup is too thick, just add a little water or broth .

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I have been wanting to do this for a while. Thanks for the information!! I can't wait to use my Christmas turkey to make a good amount of broth. I may just have to buy a whole chicken to practice!! I look forward to checking out the rest of your blog!!

Jessica said...

I wish I had a pot that was big enough to do this!! I have a carcass from Sunday in my fridge, and hate to see it go to my dog.

Candace said...

Rachel-

I do a very similar soup with a whole chicken. It is good too. Just put the whole chicken in the pot and cook for a few hours. You can then cool the chicken and use the dark meat for the soup. i use the chicken breast meat for chicken salad or in a casserole.

I have to tell you though, there is just something about the turkey that makes it soooo good!


Jessica-

Do you have a pot to make Spaghetti in? Maybe you could use that or just use 2 pots if needed. The broth will just be richer if there is less water.

If you don't have either of those- I have used a crockpot and that works or probably a big roaster pan in the oven, on low, might work too.

Davonne said...

I loved reading these! I had no idea about skin, bones, and fat - what a great use of everything! I threw mine away, but I still have a turkey in the freezer because they were on sale, so I will definitely use this recipe this winter. I'd love if you tagged them in a new category so people like me can just click on the "Turkey Soup" tag and print off the entire thing in one easy click :-)

Candace said...

Thanks Davonne,

If you'd like to print the whole thing, just click on the "Recipes" tag and they will be all together there!

I will add that as a note to the last step - Thanks!

Tammy said...

I love this idea! I have been buying chickens and also using holiday turkey to make homemade broth and then freeze that. It is nice to always have good broth on hand, I can season it however I like and don't have to buy yucky canned from the store! But, for Christmas, I will definitely be making this soup! Thanks for sharing and for being so detailed - I love that!

Davonne said...

I've had this recipe bookmarked for a full year, and finally made it! We had turkey noodle soup for dinner tonight, and have four quarts (enough for two meals, plus leftovers) in the freezer. Thanks so much for posting - I can't believe how cheap each meal is! I want to try this with a full chicken too.