Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Stay-at-Home Challenge - Pantry Inventory









If you haven't read about my January Stay-at-Home Challenge go here.

So, I've been getting ready for my January Challenge, where I plan to stay home, minimize shopping,  get organized, save $, and prepare for my presentations.

Monday, I took a "Pantry Inventory".  I emptied my pantry and cleaned it with the help of my son.  It's not a big pantry, about 5 small shelves.  I threw out the things I wouldn't use - like the "Cup-of-Soup" that expired in 2005!  

Next, I wrote down the main dishes I had on hand, noting any additional items I needed to purchase to complete the dish.  I placed the items back into the pantry as I wrote them down, so I would know what was used.   (I also got rid of some of the packaging.  I put all the tea bags in one plastic container, my lentils in another. This made things easier to stack.)

I then made a list of the extra items were not being used in any of the main dishes.   (Side Dishes, canned vegetables, etc.)

Next, I did the same inventory of my freezers and refrigerator. 

My next project is to compile a list of meals and match-up side dishes with them, then make a grocery list and get the remaining items I need to complete the dish or meal.  I plan to post my meal list on my fridge and choose the meal I want for the day.  I want to make sure I have 30 dinners on hand so I will not need to do much shopping this month.


Here is a picture of my now organized and inventoried pantry.  I wish I had a before picture!  It was really messy.


2 comments:

eworpell said...

Where did you get the wire basket thingys that you hang over the door of your pantry/and coat closet? I desperately need something to organize hats and mittens in!

Candace said...

The shelves I have in my coat closet came from Meijer. I actually bought them to put on the back of Davy Crockett's bedroom door (not thinking how wide they would be). They are perfect for the coat closet. I keep all that stuff (hats, etc.) and also the little guy's shoes on the bottom too.

They'd be good for Batman's, bat paraphernalia. =)

I don't remember where the pantry ones came from. I've had them forever!

I did see very similar ones at Garden Ridge. They have an awesome organizer section! Garden Ridge is I-65 North, right off the Layfette Rd Exit. (Just north of the W 38th St exit)