Thursday, November 12, 2009

Beef and Lentil Slow Cooker Stew - Italian or Mexican Style - You Choose!














One of our favorite dinners is Beef and Lentil Slow Cooker Stew and you can make it either Italian style or Mexican style.

I originally got the recipe several years ago on the Weight Watchers website here. And the photo above is also from Weight Watchers.

I have adjusted the original recipe to suit our tastes and it has become a favorite. I also like that I can throw it in the crock pot in less than 5 minutes and it does not require pre-browning of the beef!

Recipe - Italian Style

1 small onion chopped (if you're in a rush you can omit)
2 cups frozen green beans or 1 can green beans (or in the summer I've used fresh too!)
1 pound beef cubes (I use what ever beef I get on sale and cube it myself)
1/2 tsp oregano or Italian seasoning, crushed
2 - 3 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes - undrained
1 cup dry lentils
2 - 3 heaping tablespoons of tomato paste
4 cups beef broth
4 carrots chopped
2 cups broccoli stems ** or bagged frozen broccoli
1-2 cups frozen or fresh corn
Whatever other veggie you like!
salt and pepper to taste


If your beef cubes are frozen - thaw them in the microwave first. Place all ingredients (except green beans and corn) in the crock pot. Cook on low 6 -7 hours. Add green beans and corn in for last hour or so to heat. (If you are using fresh green beans you might need a bit more time if you like them soft and not crisp)

To make this Mexican style substitute 1 or more of the cans of tomatoes with the salsa of your choice. If you use all salsa - which is how we like it - you can eliminate the onion as this is already in the salsa!

This is a VERY versatile recipe - you can't mess it up. Just add in what vegetables you like - the lentils make it so thick and yummy. In the summer I make this with fresh veggies from the garden or farm stand. I do not recommend adding potatoes because they tend to mush when cooked that long.


** When I make fresh broccoli, I chop and then steam the stems for a few minutes. Then I cool and put them in the freezer in bags with 2 cups each. My family does not like to eat the stems with steamed broccoli - but the make a nutritious filler in soup and cooking in the crock pot makes them soft instead of tough and woody like they usually are when steamed.

2 comments:

George said...

I'm trying this with a variation, no broccoli and using larger chunks of beef. Also I threw some lemon zest and olive oil in there. I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh, and I'm substituting green pepper for green beans but I'm putting them in the beginning.

George said...

I'm making this, my mother's trying to make a cook out of me, I got a crock pot for x-mas.