Thursday, February 19, 2009

Guest Post - Coupons Clipping Method

Today we are having a Guest Post from Jamie from the blog I Am a Money Magnet.  She will be sharing her method of clipping coupons - which just happens to be the same method I use!  She had such a nice post I wanted to share it with you. I'm sure you will enjoy it and learn something from her.  I did - I now staple my coupons together which makes them easier to file and pull!






I, for one, am a coupon clipper. I like having all my coupons with me, organized in my coupon binder, and ready to take shopping with me at the drop of a hat!

With that being said many different coupon clipping methods exist and I would love to hear what coupon clipping method you currently use! Clipping coupons is probably the most tedious task of "super couponing" so hopefully we can learn from each other and make clipping coupons a breeze!

Step One: Purchase Sunday Newspaper(s).

On average I purchase 4 Sunday newspapers each week (sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the coupons). I usually purchase my newspapers from Walgreens using my Walgreens gift card loaded with the money I've earned through their Easy Saver Rebates.

(Note: In Indianapolis you can get your Sunday newspapers on Saturday or Sunday at the Dollar Tree for $1.00 each.)

On Saturday night I check Taylortown Preview to see how many inserts I should expect in the newspaper.

Before purchasing my papers I flip through them making sure all the inserts are included. Once I'm back home I remove the inserts from the newspaper and group them together as shown in the picture above.



Step Two: Next, I group all like pages together as shown here.

If the insert is two pages (like the one shown at the top of this picture) after stacking all the like insert pages together, I rip the insert down the middle making 2 single pages.  (Just make sure there isn't a coupon in the middle of the 2 pages!)



Step Three: Forget About Keeping Your Floor Clean. :)

This is what my floor looked like Sunday afternoon after I let 2 weeks of inserts pile up! As you can see I have separated all the insert pages and stacked them into piles all over the floor!




Step Four: Select a stack of like coupon inserts from your piles on the floor. Next, staple the middle of each coupon. Bee sure to staple the coupons on both sides of the insert (in the picture I am stapling through 4 insert pages). Be careful not to staple through the bar code or expiration date. Once each coupon on the page has been stapled you can start cutting out your coupons. Note: I usually staple all my inserts first and then go back and cut. 

Why are you stapling the middle of each coupon you ask?


As you can see in the picture, stapling through each coupon before cutting keeps the coupons stacked together in nice and neat piles! Having the coupons stapled together makes it much easier to file in my Coupon Binder (coming up in Part 2). Another plus, when I don't have time to file them in my Coupon Binder I'm able throw the stapled stacks into a Ziploc bag and not have to worry about all those single coupons getting mixed up with each other!

Thanks so much Jamie!  I appreciate your sharing this with us!  Please stop by Jamie's blog I Am A Money Magnet.

Come back tomorrow when Elizabeth from White Picket Fence shares how she organizes her coupons!

No comments: