Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Buying Fresh Local Produce




















It is now Summertime! I LOVE fresh tomatoes. I really could live on them all summer. I grew up in the Pennsylvania Amish Country. Everywhere you went there were roadside stands with wonderful fresh produce, eggs and baked goods.

I recently returned from an extended trip back to PA and so I've been wondering, where you can go here in Indy for fresh locally grown produce?

Also, I have been taking some time off this summer (notice it is slow around here lately?), my stockpile is full, my freezer is full and so I've been on a coupon fast and trying to spend most of my grocery budget on fresh fruits and vegetables. I've been dipping into the stockpile for the rest - isn't that what you have one for? Not just to admire your 16 roasts - right?

You know, there are times when I work hard on my stockpile and other times that I just sit back and enjoy it and this summer is turning out to be the latter!

I would like to share with you several of the markets I know about or have shopped at in Indianapolis and would like for you to add to my list and comment with what is worth going for at the markets you like!

One thing to keep in mind when you shop a farm market is that - just because it is there does NOT make it local produce. I am very leery of any produce in an official looking box - chances are it came from a vendor - there is a HUGE difference between vine ripened tomatoes and the ones shipped in from some far away place! Look carefully - I usually pass over anything with the produce stickers you see at the grocery store!

Here is my list!

Anderson Orchard - Southeast Indy - Pleasant View area

Anderson's had great apples I especially love the Mutsu! They have yummy frozen cider slushies! I reccomend that you go NOW for the best slushie! They are serving the cider that was frozen from the end of last season - that is the best of the best in cider flavors! And the large slushie is only $1.00 the small is $.50.

They should have apples ready for picking in about 2-3 weeks! Currently there were Tennessee Tomatoes and some peaches for sale.















Tuttles Orchard - East of Indy

Fun place to visit. Looking at their website they have a lot of fresh produce for sale. I think I will go there next week!




















Waterman's Farm Market - Southeast Indy - Raymond, west of Franklin

This is our favorite in the fall with the pumpkin patch!

Copelands Farm Market - Near the corner of County Line and Five Points Road just inside the Marion County line - (near Johnson County.)

Cumberland Farmers Market, 11501 E. Washington St., Cumberland; 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays

Greenwood Farmer's Market - Saturday's 8 a.m. to noon. In the West parking lot of the Greenwood Library.

??? Greenfield Farm Market - Wednesdays in the town square - 8 -12. (Can anyone confirm this?)

There is a nice list of Farm Markets here in an Indy Star article.

Update: 7/30/09
Here is a link sent to me from a reader. It is an official website with information about Indiana Farmers markets. - Thanks Dawn

So do you have a fave? What is good there?

2 comments:

eworpell said...

We just had some Waterman's corn at the Marion County fair....sooooo good!!! :)

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I love Ray's produce from the Franklin farmers market. It is open 8-12 on the square in Franklin on Saturdays. Taylor's Farmers Market is on Worthsville Road in Greenwood and it is open 7 days a week.