Thursday, October 22, 2009

Homemade Cleaning Supplies - Window Cleaner













One of my son's favorite jobs is to clean the window on the sliding glass door and he also helps clean the bathroom mirror and sink. I have found that he tends to get a bit over zealous on the use of cleaner!

This concerned me because I figured that he was breathing in the fumes from the ammonia in the cleaner which would not be good for him. So I decided I did not want him to use the "Windex" any more and had to come up with something else.

I could have bought a "natural" cleaner - but they tend to be pricey! So, I found that there are may recipes online for making your own window cleaner so I experimented and like this one very much!

I double the recipe and it fills my old Windex bottle nicely - I don't even think my son knows the difference!

Here is the recipe!

Window Cleaner

2 Cups - Water

1/4 Cup - Vinegar

1/2 teaspoon - Liquid dish soap

2-3 drops - Blue food coloring
(optional)

4 comments:

Miss Janet said...

I just made homemade laundry detergent and LOVE it! I don't ever want to go back!

Janet
www.homeward4.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I just wanted to post a comment about the homemade window cleaner. I have been making my own detergent and cleaning supplies for about a year or longer. I love them. I use club soda (store brand) to clean windows and glass. I found this idea in a book called Clean House Clean Planet by Karen Logan. I love this book and after borrowing it from the library I had to have my own copy. It is a great book for those that are interested in making additional cleaning supplies for the home.

Candace said...

Do you put the club soda in a spray bottle or just wet your rag with it? Does it need to be fizzy or is it okay if it goes flat?

Thanks for the comments!

Rene said...

What a great idea! My daughters love to clean windows too. I will definitely be making this. Thanks for sharing!!