Monday, January 12, 2009

Black-Eyed Peas Soup















I made this soup on Saturday and it was really good so here is the recipe for you.  I'm sorry that I have no pictures for you.  It was nice and thick and we ate it over brown rice.  It made enough for 3-4 meals for us.  I froze some for later.

4-5 cups chicken stock 
2-3 cups water or stock
1 1lb bag of dried black eyed peas

Chopped in small cubes the following:
2-3 celery stalks
1 lb ham (1 used turkey ham from Aldi
2-3 carrots 
1 onion - chop finely
(put in as much of those as you like)


Wait on these for later:
1 large potato (peel and cube later)
Chicken bullion -if needed


Rinse and sort the beans.  Cover with water and bring to boil.  Boil on low for 2-3 minutes.  Cover and let sit 1 hour.  Rinse well and drain when done.

Put chicken stock, water, beans and cubed ham and veggies in big pot.  Bring to low simmer.   Turn to lowest heat and let cook slowly for several hours.  I cooked mine for about 6- all together.  Stir occasionally - but not too much so you don't smash all the beans.  

I checked it in the afternoon and wanted it to be thicker so I took the lid off slightly so it could cook down, turned the heat up a bit and I added a chopped potato.  Also, I added a little bullion to flavor the broth a bit more - my chicken stock was a bit weak.

I cooked it until it was nice and thick and served it with homemade bread and over brown rice. The brown rice really make it good!  This is a very satisfying and filling soup!  One of my winter favorites.

No comments: