Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snowed In? Listen to a Book.


So what do your children like to do on a snowy day - after they've been outside to play and are good and worn out?  How about listening to a good book while playing inside?  If I put on a new,  good book, my son will play quietly while building with his Legos or Blocks for an amazing amount of time.  This can be a real sanity saver on a snowed in day!

There are a lot of sites that offer books in MP3 format.  It is not hard to find a good one to listen to.  We have really enjoyed listening to Heidi which we found here.

There are other great books available at this site including:

The King James Bible 
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan 
Treasure Island  by  R. L. Stevenson
White Fang by Jack London
Emma by Jane Austen 
The Wind in the Willows  by Kenneth Grahame
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett 


Here are a few sites that have free Audio Books that you can listen to:  





One of my son's favorite sites is TumbleBooks



TumbleBooks has some great online books for kids.  I would let you know, however, that some of the books are for older kids or deal with subjects I did not want my son to read about, so I selected the ones I liked and added them very easily to "Favorites"  and that way he can look at any books in the "Favorites".  He enjoys that site a lot.

To use TumbleBooks go here and you will see the TumbleBooks logo about half way down the library's  webpage.  You can just click on it and have fun!



Do you know of any good sites that offer free Audio Books? Let us know!  Leave a comment.

I think we might just listen to a good book and make a batch of cookies today!  Sounds like a nice snowy day to me.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Candi, thanks so much for the new links. I've bookmarked the classics one. Here is another one I have been using:

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/home

Candace said...

Thanks! I've added it to the post.

We love listening to books. It's so much nicer when you can download them - no forgetting to return it to the library!