Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Stay-at-Home Challenge - Update 1/13/09

Here is a quick update in pictures of what I have been doing during my "Stay-at Home Challenge".    You can read more about my challenge here.  I am trying for the month of January to reduce the amount of time I spend couponing, shopping and being out of the house so I can get some things done and organized and save some  $ too.


Here are some things I've done:



Planned a Month of Meals.  I'm not holding myself to make the things on the exact day.  But if I switch a day I cross off what I made.  Also, sometimes we have more leftovers than planned so I don't cook the next day.  So I have really more than a month here.


Organized my Kitchen Cabinets and got rid of old spices.  I organized them in this drawer and can now see all the labels.


I organized my "Stash".  Most of the items in here I got for free at CVS, Walgreens, or Kmart.  I can now see what I've got enough of and what to look for, for free before I run out.












Cleaned out bathroom cabinets.  This was packed full of "Stash " stuff.  Now it is out of here and I can store only  a few items more neatly here.


Things I want to do yet this month:



After dinner is coloring time.  Both kids love to color and it is a good quiet activity.  I want to organize the craft items, paper, coloring books, etc, so we can find things more easily.



Here is a rolling cart that fits 12x12 scrapbook paper.  I want to organize my scrapbook and craft items in it.  I got it for 50% off at Meijer.





Okay - this is hard for me to show you.  My very messy make-up and hair drawer.  I still have a few drawers in the bathrooms to sort and get rid of stuff.  I want to finish this job.

So far, I've made 1 trip to Aldi for produce and a few other things and stopped at CVS for milk.  It's been hard for me to keep out of the couponing loop, but I've enjoyed the extra time and also enjoyed keeping inside where it is warm!


3 comments:

eworpell said...

Since you are making so much progress-want to come do my coat closet? It's a jumble of coats, games, shoes, various hats and mittens and a big box w/ a Christmas tree in it. So far, my plan of just keeping the door closed is working well. (what you can't see doesn't need to be done right?) :)

Candace said...

Mines not great either. I have some laundry baskets in the back to store some things. That works pretty well and I keep some totes of wrapping paper in there too.

Heidi said...

I didn't know you kept a blog Candi :-) I'm adding it to my reader. I enjoyed reading through the recent posts(and learned a lot!) already. Perhaps you could go into business shopping and organizing for people like um, me . . . :-)

I would like to get just my kitchen cabinets sorted out this month (I threw things in every which way when we moved in) and some curtains made, and then I would feel that I had achieved a personal best :-) Sincerely, thanks for the practical tips here and the spurring on !