Thursday, March 19, 2009

Homemade Breadcrumbs

So what do you do with the leftover ends of bread and the 2 extra stale hot dog rolls you have when you buy 8 hot dogs and 10 rolls?  Make Breadcrumbs! 



I found this recipe for Homemade Breadcrumbs that I like a lot.  I have found making breadcrumbs to be pretty easy and a good use for the heels of bread.  

I just throw unused pieces of bread into a  bag in the freezer until I need breadcrumbs.  Then I take them out and make the breadcrumbs.

When they are cool, I store my breadcrumbs in a plastic container in the freezer to keep them fresh!

In this recipe they use a blender - which I do not have.  I use my food processor and it works well.

We use a kind of heavier weight organic bread (which I get for .49 cents at the bread store).  I have found that occasionally, I have needed to toast the finished breadcrumbs a bit more to get them completely dry - but be careful or the cheese will burn!


No comments: