Monday, April 6, 2009

Menu Planning Monday 4/6/09










Last week, I showed you my basic meal plan for the month. You can go here to see the plan and pictures of my monthly menu.

As the month goes along, I do change the meals around a bit - because nothing ever goes exactly as planned. But, because I have 30 meals planned out, I know I have enough to get through the month - and usually more.

Last week, because I was busy nursing my sick computer back to health and fighting an army of ants, my meals got changed a bit. We ate turkey leftovers of one form or another during the week.

On Saturday- I did a complete Spring cleaning of my kitchen cabinets to rid them of the smallest speck of a crumb! I had to put everything on the table and island, clean the cabinets and then sprayed for the ants - really I've never had ants like this before. I am however, somewhat encouraged that a neighbor is having the same trouble (sorry Kathleen if you are reading this! I really don't want you to have ants too) -I was beginning to question my housekeeping abilities! Really, is the kitchen not clean enough?

Well, the Saturday work seems to have helped the ant situation because I've seen less than 10 ants today - and believe me that is an improvement!

So because of the rather enormous state of disorder on Saturday - we went out to eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant! We used a restaurant.com certificate and so we got a great meal with appetizers and dessert for everyone for only about $20 including tax and tip!

That said, my meals for this week were planned as this:

Sunday - Turkey Sandwiches (Lunch) Pizza (Evening)
Monday - Spaghetti and Sausage
Tuesday - Leftovers
Wednesday - Beef BBQ Sandwiches (Crock pot), Roasted potatoes
Thursday - Turkey Noodle Soup - Homemade Bread
Friday - Baked Fish, Twice Baked Potatoes
Saturday - Pizza

But they will be more like this:

Sunday - We just ate PB crackers in a rush to get back to church (Lunch) Pizza (Evening)
Monday - Turkey Noodle Soup - Homemade Bread
Tuesday - Eat at Bob Evans (Special day planned with family and have gift card)
Wednesday - Beef BBQ Sandwiches (Crock pot), Roasted potatoes
Thursday - Ham and Cabbage (planned last week, didn't use)
Friday - Baked Fish, Twice Baked Potatoes
Saturday - Pizza


If you try to plan the month of meals - don't feel like you are a slave to it! It is a great tool to organize your basic meal structure, but it is only a tool. Be flexible and change as you need to adjust to your day or week.

I often substitute an easy meal planned later in the month if I am having a very busy day, or make a more complicated or time consuming meal, if the day allows. I just mark off the meals that I made on the calendar and that way I know what meals are still available for me to make!

If you are looking for great deals to help you plan your weekly menu - check out the new feature we have at Frugal Indy it is called "The Grocery Get-Together", it is where we are bringing you the grocery deals! We have some great bloggers who have linked up their deals for you!

Go here for the deals for the week of 4/2 - 4/8/09 (Thur. - Wed. ads).
If you would like the deals for the week of 4/5-11/09 (Sun - Sat) and 4/9-15/09 (Thur - Wed) you can go here.


1 comment:

eworpell said...

It must be the year of the ants...both my sis-in-laws and my mom are having trouble too. They appear around our house in early spring..especially when it rains..