Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thrifty Thursday - Clothing Shopping






.......Versus








Buying clothing has ceased to be fun for me. Many years ago B.C. (before children), I liked going to the mall, trying on clothes and unfortunately spending more than I should on a nice outfit.

Now that I have 2 little ones, buying clothing is more of a necessity than anything else. I don't mind shopping for the kids too much. I can take care of their needs in a few trips to Kid's Clothing sales and Once Upon a Child.

Shopping for myself, however, is not at all fun!

I realized last week, that I really did not have much "decent" to wear. Now I don't mean I've been running around being indecent, just that well, since the birth of our 17 month old, I haven't paid much attention to my wardrobe.

It happens that last weekend, I actually needed to have 3 outfits that don't include sweatpants, t-shirts or a Sunday dress and high heels. (It seems that I have extremes in my closet!)

So, after some consideration and a check on the financial situation, I decided to take the 2 kiddos and head off to good old GW. (That's Goodwill, for you single folks still shopping at the mall)

My goal was to find at least 2 pair of pants that were comfortable and wouldn't wrinkle easily. I also needed a shirt or two to go with them and I really need a white cardigan.

Before I went out to shop, I prayed that the Lord would help me find what I needed. I think that He is interested in our lives and is willing to listen to our needs - even ones that seem trivial. (And also, I knew with 2 kids that this was not going to be easy!)

I am happy to say that I was able to find many things that were actually 1/2 off at GW. For a total of $22 I bought:

Blue Casual pants
Tan ankle length pants
Blue Jean Skirt
Gray Cardigan
Black Old Navy Jammie pants - New with tag!
Pink velvety sweat pants
Totes Winter Boots for 5 year old (for next winter)
Levi's jeans for 5 year old
Black sandals for me

I shopped at the Castleton, GW, near the mall, next to Dollar Tree.

Next, I headed off to the mall to find a few tops. I almost gave up with sticker shock! But, finally found 2 nice ones at JC Penney for a reasonable price. My son was surprised however, when I explained to him that the 2 shirts cost about the same as all the things we bought at GW!

Here are my tips for shopping at GW:

1. Look for the 1/2 off color of the week. You will save 50% off items with that color. Most all the items I purchased were 50% off regular price.

2. Head right to the book shelves! When we went to GW I went straight to the book shelves and got the 5 year old some books to look at in the store. He sat in the back of the shopping cart and looked at them while shopped. I returned them to the shelves before we checked out!

3. Bring snacks. I kept the 17 month old happy in the stroller with graham crackers and milk.

4. Think and buy ahead. I bought my son's NEXT WINTER's boots for only $2 because they were 50% off. I bought a pair of Levi Jeans for $2 - they are 1 size too big for the 5 yr old, but that is a good deal and I will put them away for the next growth spurt. I don't want to have to pay full price for jeans because I don't have any on hand!

5. Only buy the "Best" deals and only what you need. Don't fill your cart with "stuff" because it's a deal.

6. Try things on at home too. The GW's in Indy let you return items with tags on for 1 week. Try items on at home to make sure you like them. Also, check them carefully at home for spots and tears.

7. Donate. You love getting a good deal. Make sure you pass on the favor to others.

If you have a favorite thrift store or tip let us know - leave a comment!

No comments: